Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

4/5/10- The Resurrection of the Dead Job 14:12-15

12 so they lie down and do not rise; till the heavens are no more, they will not awake or be roused from their sleep. 13 "If only you would hide me in the grave and conceal me till your anger has passed! If only you would set me a time and then remember me!
14 If someone dies, will they live again? All the days of my hard service I will wait for my renewal to come. 15 You will call and I will answer you; you will long for the creature your hands have made. (Job 14:12-15)

Job hints at the resurrection with a bit of uncertainty.  He hopes for eternal life, but has not basis to do so.  The resurrection is not only a doctrine, but a hope.  It is not a hope based on wishes, but based on witnesses- 500+. When people suffer, they want the suffering to end, but they wish their bodies would be renewed too.  Jesus raised several from the dead- but they died again.  But he was raised from the dead into eternal life, and invites those who follow him to have that hope.  This hope does not take away from this life, but adds eternal meaning to what we do, say, and think now.  Without the resurrection, our actions, our best accomplishments are soon forgotten, and we have no hope. 


Prayer: Thank you Lord, that one day you will call- like a trumpet, and I will be raised.  Thank you for this hope that gives me strength in the face of suffering, and meaning in the face of the problems of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment