Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

11/12/10 Luke 22:39-46 Thine be Done

39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

(The author in the Garden of Gethsemane on the Mt. of Olives)

Thoughts: To know your future pain and suffering had to be so hard for Christ.  There are three key parts here: the agony, the prayer, and the submission.  The agony is seen in his anguish, his sweat dropping like blood, his concern about his disciples who were weak and about to facing temptation.  He told his disciples to pray that they not fall into temptation; He prayed take this cup from me.  It is powerful that the Son of God has put Himself in a place where He is in agony and where He must pray.  One of the most practical things for us is this prayer: "Not my will but thine be done."  In some ways this is the key and the goal to Christian devotion.  It means that I am no longer in charge of my life, but God is in charge.  Jesus sets the example to us all of submission and trust.  Christ was willing to trust the Father even in the shadow of the cross of death.  We need to pray and grow to the point of trusting in Christ.

Prayer: Lord, give me grace to face my cross.  Give me strength to submit my will to your will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment