Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

3/30/11 John 12:44-46 Christ comes as a light

44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 45 The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.





Thoughts: These words are the last time we hear Jesus teaching in public.  To believe in Jesus is to believe in God.  To look at Jesus is to look at God.  Jesus claims to be the light of the world.  Strong claims.  Jesus is saying, "If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck- it must be a duck."  One of the last things Jesus is teaching is to make sure everyone knew his claim to be God. 

Prayer: When I look at you, Jesus, I see my example; I see my Lord.  Keep me from darkness for I believe in you.





John Calvin Abridged:  Christ is trying to encourage his followers to a proper and unshaken steadfastness of faith.  Faith in Christ does not rely on mortals, but on God; for it finds in Christ nothing but the divine.  "To see" is used of knowledge of God.  Or faith rises from the flesh of Christ to his Divinity.  Christ came into the world to being light and deliver us from darkness and errors.  The way we obtain such a great benefit is to believe in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment