Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

12/4/11 The Messiah to be of David's Line

12/4/11 day 8- Light the first and second candles. Jesus was prophesied to be Of the House of David.

“The days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. 6 In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety.
This is the name by which he will be called: The LORD Our Righteous Savior. (Jeremiah 23:5)

But my love will never be taken away from him [David], as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’” (2 Samuel 7:15)

31 the son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David, (Luke 3:31)

22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’ 23 “From this man’s descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised. (Acts 13:22,23)

(Michelangelo's David- in Florence Italy)


Thoughts: David was promised a descendant to sit on his throne forever.  It could well be argued that Israel had a descendant of David governing in some way until the Romans took away the ability to decide life and death issues in the first century AD- after Jesus was born.  The Jews never gained back the throne after that.  The scepter (the symbol of the ability to judge- giving life and death) did not depart until Jesus came. Jesus, however, reigns forever and ever (as Handel’s Messiah reminds us).  Hallelujah to the King of kings!

Prayer: Rule in my heart, O God.  May I be a loyal subject to you for you are worthy of my respect and hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A

No comments:

Post a Comment