Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

2/13/10- Matthew 5:4- Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted

2/13/10- Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted


Calvin abridged: This beatitude is closely connected to the previous one (blessed are the poor in spirit) and is a confirmation of it. The ordinary belief is that calamities render a person unhappy, because they bring grief with them. Nothing is supposed to be more inconsistent with happiness than mourning. But Christ not only disagrees, he also shows that their very mourning contributes to a happy life, by preparing them to receive eternal joy, and be readying them to receive true comfort in God alone. Paul similarly says, ““We glory in tribulations also knowing that tribulation produces patience, and patience experience, and experience hope: and hope maketh not ashamed,”

Thoughts: The scriptures speak of God’s comforting us. Isaiah prophecies it (61:2,3), Jesus says he fulfills it (Lk ) and the last book of the Bible tells us that when we get to heaven “God will wipe every tear from our eyes.” Our ultimate comfort is not time; it is not aspirin; it is not even an earthly friend. All these, though important for temporary relief, do ultimately end grief, pain, or heartache. The Heidelberg Catechism (Q.1) asks, “What is your only comfort in life and in death?” The answer is, “That I belong body and soul, in life and in death- not to myself, but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore by His Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.” In the midst of mourning, help me, O God to find your true permanent comfort that surpasses any comfort this temporary world can offer.

Prayer: Holy Spirit, assure me, comfort me, in my sadness may I find your presence and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment