Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

2/18/10- Psalm 51 Restoration of Joy and Service

2/18- Psalm 51:9-17




(King David of Israel- Copenhagen- Jerichau- 1860)



9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 14 Deliver me from bloodguilt, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 15 Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.



Thoughts: When our hearts are pure, we are re-energized, restored, and want to tell others about God’s grace. This is a prayer for forgiveness with the hope of both joy and service restored. It contains a bit of bargaining with God- even pleading with God. When our hearts are humbled and contrite, God is inclined to hear us.  Teh great news is that when our health is restored, so is our joy and our service.  Jesus said, "I have come that they might have life and have it abundantly" (Jn. 10:10).  Surely the abundance of life is a result of forgiveness and healing.



Prayer: Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.

No comments:

Post a Comment