Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

10/13/10 Escaping the Tomb Jonah 2:2-9; Psalm 130:1,5-7

 2 [Jonah] said: "In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry. 6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you, LORD my God, brought my life up from the pit. 7 "When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple. 8 "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit God's love for them. 9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, 'Salvation comes from the LORD.' "
1 Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD; 2 Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
5 I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. 6 I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. 7 Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full redemption.


(Trapped Chilean Miners- Reuters Ho)

Thoughts: Today the Chilean miners will be taken "out of the depths" from the realm of the dead.  They were barred from life and sunk into the "roots of the mountains."  "Patience and faith," trapped miner Mario Gomez wrote to his wife. "God is great and the help of my God is going to make it possible to leave this mine alive. "  Barrios Rojas, sister of a trapped miner, said  "We all have the hope that they were all alive. So the news was very beautiful, especially that it was on a Sunday, a day of God."  We can join in the prayers of those who are praying for a safe escape from the collapsed mine in Chile.  We can also see in this a type of Jesus' resurrection and also our own rescue- in this life and from death itself.  We are trapped by sin and death, but God provides a way out. 

Prayer: Lord, we ask your help for those who are trapped in Chile. Help them to escape their tomb safely.  Help us as well to escape the snares of our own death, and our own problems.

John Calvin abridged: Jonah was, in a manner of speaking, doomed to eternal ruin.  The belly of the fish was hell or the grave to him.  But Jonah gathered courage and prayed to God.  When the Lord heavily afflicts us, it is a legitimate and seasonable time for prayer, and not just give into despondancy.  The servants of God do not gain the victory without a great struggle. Jonah felt that he had deserved God's wrath and that the mountains were closing in on him, and hope of pardon was gone.  Yet, he had no hope of deliverance unless God stretched forth his hand in a manner new and incredible.

63 year old Mario Gomez's rescue- 9th man out (and quoted above): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11534081

[http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2010/August/Chile-33-miners-Trapped-17-Days-Are-Alive-/]

No comments:

Post a Comment