Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

10/31/11- Real security vs. Fear and Uncertainty

11 “Ephraim is like a dove, easily deceived and senseless—
now calling to Egypt, now turning to Assyria.
12 When they go, I will throw my net over them; I will pull them down like the birds in the sky.
When I hear them flocking together, I will catch them.
3 Woe to them, because they have strayed from me!
Destruction to them, because they have rebelled against me!
I long to redeem them but they speak about me falsely.
14 They do not cry out to me from their hearts but wail on their beds.
They slash themselves, appealing to their gods for grain and new wine,
but they turn away from me.
15 I trained them and strengthened their arms, but they plot evil against me.
16 They do not turn to the Most High;  they are like a faulty bow.
Their leaders will fall by the sword because of their insolent words.
For this they will be ridiculed in the land of Egypt.

(wild pigeons flying)


Thoughts: We often view does as symbols of peace, but they are also kind of stupid (or as the passage says, "eaily deceived and senseless").  Israel is eaily deceived and senseless in that they go back and forth.  If you have ever watched doves, they flitter from one place to another.  The Israelites did not know where their security lay.  They would flutter to the Egyptians, then fly over to the Assyrians.  But their real rest and security lay in God- but they refused to come to Him.  Human alliances may give a false sense of security, but the best security comes by relying on God. 
     In verse 14 the results of their fear and superstition shows.  The people are depressed and cut themselves as an acto of worship to false gods.  Halloween has become spookier and spookier in America. It has become more and more superstitious and involved with the paranormal.  People are fascinated with this "spiritual side" of life.  But the real spiritual side is found in God- yet they refuse to look to Him.  Perhaps because God requires holiness and obedience.  But it is God who blesses and withhold blessing- not vampires or werewolves or ghosts or aliens.  We need to turn back to God.

Prayer: May my hope, strength, and rest always be found in you, O Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment