Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

5/10/11 John 8:13-18 Jesus' Testimony

For the next few weeks I will be going back over the Gospel of John chapters 8 & 9- impotant passages about Jesus' authority.

13 The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”
14 Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”
19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”
“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.









(Jesus teaching in the Temple- pointing up- James Jaques Tissot 19th cent).

Thoughts: How do we know Jesus is the Son of God?  Is it by our guesses?  Is it by what His friends say?  Is it because He says so?  The Gospel of John is written that we might believe and then have life (20:31).  John makes it clear that this great teacher made his own claim about his divinity- and that it was not just made up for him.  Jesus here points out that the only two really valid witnesses needed are his and the Father's witness.  Other witnesses may be distorted, blinded, corrupt.  Jesus is the true discerner of truth and falsehood- the ultimate judge of right and wrong.  The One who came from God and heaven can tell us more validly about such things than we who are only guessing about them (vs. 14).  The real question, is can we trust what Jesus says?  Can we trust that what John (an eyewitness) says Jesus said is true?  In the end, it is a matter of faith in His testimony. The resurrection adds power to the already powerful words of Jesus.  Faith is more than just guessing or thinking really hard in the dark.  Jesus came as the light to show us to God. 

Prayer: Lord, give me faith to believe your testimony. 

John Calvin Abridged: The Pharisess object that no one person ought to be trusted when they are speaking of their own cause.  Jesus' answer is that He is not just a single person among many- just a common man.  Jesus' status is above the whole world and common human standards.  Jesus was now clothed in the form of a servant, and they could not perceive His glory.  But He infers to His future glory in the resurrection as a proof of his testimony. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good site you have created to knowing about Jesus' Testimony. It is a spiritual witness given by the holy ghost and a solemn attestation as to the truth of a matter. All testimonies should be well thought out and truthful. Thanks a lot.

    Alpha for Catholics

    ReplyDelete