Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

6/1/11 Matthew 7:21-23 Jesus Against Lawlessness

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

(Sermon on the Mount- Annigoni Pietro 1953)


Thoughts: The word "evildoers" is literally- "lawless ones" (ργαζόμενοι τν νομαν in the Greek).  It is obvious from these words of Jesus, that He has great concern for the keeping of His Law.  He was not so concerned about the washing and eating parts- the liturgical laws that seemed fulfilled in Him.  He was concerned about keeping the Moral Law (like the Ten Commandments).  Jesus was saying, people called Him their Lord, thinking they followed Him but they did not. This was because they did not do the will of His Father- they were lawless.  The Law is a gift from God that tells us what we are supposed to do- even if we do not do it perfectly. Just as a great citizen obeys the civil law, so a member of the kingdom of God is always listening for how they might please the King.  

Prayer: Help me to love your Law, O Lord.  Give me ears to hear and a heart to respond; but also give me strength to do what I know you wish me to do.

John Calvin Abridged:  He goes on to not only speak of false prophets but all hypocrites who deceive themselves.  He encrouages all believers not to estimate such masks beyond their proper value.  2 Timothy 2:19 says, "The Lord knows who are His and let everyone who calls on the Name of Christ depart from iniquity.

No comments:

Post a Comment