Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

5/4/11 John 21:16-17, Pastor's Work

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
(Peter restored, Raphael)



Thoughts: The opposite of denial is love.  Peter denied that he even knew Christ.  Now Jesus asked beyond just knowledge to love.  The question for each of us is not whether we know there is a God or know that Christ exists- or even is God-in-the-flesh.  The question is do we love Him with all our hear, soul, mind, and strength?

Prayer:  Help me, Lord, to know you more.  Help me, Lord to love you and be ever-growing in love with you.

John Calvin Abridged: "Feed" means to govern.  Christ is the only true shepherd (Jn. 10) as He is the only true food for the soul.  People are given the term "Pastor" as they govern under the Head who is Christ.  Christ's pastors are called not to feed anyone- but to feed His own sheep- His own people. While pastors should try to gather all in, and cannot easily distinguish between the wolves and the sheep, their labor will only be effective to those who are elect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment