Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3/16/10- Out of the Depths

3/16- Psalm 130


1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD; 2 O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. 3 If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? 4 But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared. 5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. 6 My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. 7 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full redemption. 8 He himself will redeem Israel from all their sins.



(Jonah and whale- Jan Brueghel the Elder 1568- 1625)



Thoughts: The common image of someone going through trouble is of someone drowning, sinking down deeper and deeper. We may be in the “depths” of despair. Yet out of these depths we call to God, put our hope in Him, wait for Him. Here he encourages us to remember that God is our redeemer.






When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down.

When I was sinking down sinking down

When I was sinking down, beneath God’s awful frown,

Christ laid aside his crown

For my soul, for my soul. Christ laid aside his crown for my soul. (1857 American folk hymn)

Prayer: When I was being sucked down by the rip tide whirlpool of depression and hard times, you Lord, gave me hope. Help me to hope in you again, and find that hope fulfilled in your redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment