Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

3/25/10- Making Time for Healing and Prayer, Mark 1:32-35

3/25 Mark 1:32-35



(Sunrise on the Sea of Galilee- taken by the author 1993)

32 That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 33 The whole town gathered at the door, 34 and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was. 35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Thoughts: This is one of the most amazing paragraphs in that it shows Jesus stamina and strength. He stayed up late after sunset- for the whole town of Capernaum came to see him. He had to be exhausted handling the demon-possessed, the sick, and people desperate for his help. Yet, early in the morning before sunrise, he got up and went off to a solitary place (I’ll bet it was near the lake) and prayed. This shows us Jesus’ desire to heal- his great compassion, and where he received his strength. Martin Luther said, “When I am busy, I need to pray more.” This is true for all of us. Jesus sets and example of service and prayer.

Prayer: Lord, my strength, bring your power to me today. Heal me, help me so that I might help others in your name.

Application: Make space in your life to worship God and to serve others- especially Palm Sunday and Easter.
Many churches have sunrise worship services.

No comments:

Post a Comment