Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

3/2/10- Psalm 27:1-4, 7-12; John 8:12

3/2- Psalm 27:1-4, 7-12




1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. 3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. 4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. 7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. 8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. 10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. 11 Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. 12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.

12When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)


Thoughts: With sickness comes fear and worry. What will happen if I get sicker? What will happen to those for whom I care? What about the healthcare bills? What about the pain of tests, the sticking and poking, or the nausea of medicine? How bad will I look? Who will say I deserved this? Will people eventually forget me? The Psalmist discusses his fear and finds a way out by focusing on God- gazing at Him, seeking Him. In the end, if we stay close to God- and are on His side, who will triumph over us? The worst doctor’s mistakes, the worst medicine, the worst pain, even the grave will not triumph in the end. Our hope is in the Lord- our light and our salvation.  The lighthouse in the midst of a storm has been an ancient symbol of Christ.  He guides us through the storm providing hope and the true way out.

Prayer: Lord, you are my light when I am enveloped in darkness. You are my salvation when there is no other way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment